Every child in the family had the same last name for the most part. All 10 of them in some cases (small Catholic communities in case you wondered). These days things are different. It's not uncommon for several children in the same home to have different last names. We're an accepting people. We know that sometimes things don't last. Even in those relationships that do last, some children have the same biological parents yet some take the mother's last name and some the father's. Things are certainly different, but it's accepted.
Yes, my children have the same last name. I have the same last name as well. I am not married. To those who find this whole thing confusing, here are a few things to note:
1. They have the same name because someone slept with me more than once. I know. It's shocking.
2. More shocking: He was the first guy I'd ever been with.
3. Twice as shocking as that: I married him.
4. Yes, I am old enough to have a kid that is finished with high school. No, I'm probably not mature enough, but I am old enough.
5. I married young. Obviously there didn't seem to be a lot to do and I lacked
6. Contrary to my ex husband's second wife's beliefs, I am entitled to keep my married name as long as I damned well please, bitch!
7. Having my kids when I was young is what allows me to take as many naps as I want on the weekends now. Neener. Neener. Neener.
I have never really considered myself old fashioned, but the more I look at my life the more traditional I feel. I have a 1970s style divorced lifestyle. Just the idea of it makes me want to buy a copy of Our Bodies Ourselves, grow out the old landing strip, smoke a little recreational weed, buy some crystals, and maybe try to get into that free love swing of things. Who's with me? Anyone? Anyone?